Education and career
- 2021: Master’s degree in Law KULeuven
- Internship at the Hubi & Vinciane foundation in Parakou Benin
- Erasmus exchange program at the University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- Lawyer at the Bar of Antwerp since October 2021
I have always had a strong sense of justice. It is also in this respect that I chose to study law and hereafter join the bar. As a lawyer, I can not only give legal advice but also assist people in court.
Within the firm, I have chosen to focus mainly on immigration law because, for me, it relates most closely to human rights. People who flee their country of origin do not commit a crime. They often go through terrible things on their way to Belgium. These people need both legal and psychological assistance. I am pleased to be able to assist these people legally in, among other things, their application for residence, even though this is often a struggle against the system.
In 10 years, I would like to see the world evolve more united. Currently, there is a tremendous amount of division. I think it is important to keep communicating with each other, because often behind an extreme opinion lies ignorance. As long as everyone continues to be receptive to each other, I do see a positive evolution.
Furthermore, I hope for a more humane and more simplified policy regarding immigrants. Some people have been in Belgium for years, contribute to society, but still do not get the right of residence.
Finally, I also strive for change myself. A quote I always quote is from Steve Jobs: “The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do”.
News and publications
- Situation Afghanistan AssistanceOur office is following the dramatic events in Afghanistan closely. We are currently trying to find answers to various questions such as ongoing family reunions,…
- Change in Dataretentionbill not in line with jurisprudence EHJGovernment totlally ignores judgment of highest Court Lawyer Raf Jespers, who was involved in the proceedings against the data retention law, was interviewed by DeStandaard…
- GDPR and EthnographyDuring the Ethnographic Research Seminar 2020 at Ghent University on September 16, 2020, lawyer Raf Jespers gave this presentation. The dissertation systematises (in English) the…